To me, the election of Obama is simple to understand. Please note the use of that word "simple" elsewhere in this column.
Since the 60's, our once-worthy country has experienced:
1. The destruction of the Judeo-Christian ethic in which the Founding Fathers trusted, knowing that it was the best governor of human behavior for the common good. It has been replaced by moral relativism, which in essence says "Do what you want if it pleases you." This mode of non-thinking has resulted in nearly 50 million children murdered in the womb since 1973, cheating and stealing on the part of students and hedge fund honchos with nary a thought toward morality, abberant and destructive lifestyles, previously unknown sexual diseases, rampant drug abuse, prisons filled to capacity, and massive floods of illegal aliens whom the new administration will soon label "welcomed citizens."
2. A Democratic Party that operates by three rules:
a. Get into power. Whatever lies you must tell, whomever you must slander, libel, or ruin, whatever votes you must steal, get into power. Democrats at the highest levels of politics are invariably atheists, even though some (Hillary, Al Gore, Obama, et al) will trot out a Bible every now and then for p.r. purposes. As such, they subscribe to the worldview that this life is all there is, so you get as much as you can while the getting's good. Government is power.
b. Stay in power. See a. above.
c. While in power, take the system for everything you can. See Lyndon Johnson, the Clintons, Franklin Raines (he who rigged the books at Fannie Mae to gain millions in bonuses) et al. No doubt Obama will be worth millions when his four or eight years are up.
3. Special interest groups that have no thought for anyone but themselves. They describe themselves as victims and latch onto their favorite Democratic congressman or woman, shrieking bloody murder at the polls if the legislator doesn't get them the goodies. The Dems listen. In fact, they prefer an amalgam of special interest groups. because they can move from one to the other, pacifying them as they go, without any responsibility for what's best for the national interests.
4. A mainstream media (all but talk radio and the Internet) that is composed of 60's radicals in ties and nice pantsuits. They're jumped up and well paid, but they retain the same sophomoric viewpoint that spewed from their unbrushed teeth in college. That perspective is manifested in their witchhunts for every possible wrongdoing that any conservative anywhere might conceivably have committed while overlooking the most egregious acts and comments of liberals. Since the Clinton years, they have so poisoned the electorate with vitriolic bias that conservative ideals which the Founding Fathers espoused and today's conservatives champion seem like so much ludicrous and old-fashioned trollop.
5. Political action groups, specifically MoveOn.org, that are so demented and so Marxist and so anti-God that anyone whom they target is subjected to a jaw-dropping onslaught of hatred, smears, distortions, and outright lies. Witness what they did to a magnificent American, Sarah Palin. She's everything the liberals love: a strong character who took on powerful males and won, a mother who holds down an important job, and highly attractive. But she suffers from the unforgivable sins of deliberately choosing to give birth to a Downs baby rather than murdering him in the womb and holding conservative viewpoints. Thus, according to the MoveOn terrorists, she must be utterly destroyed as a lesson to any woman who might have the temerity to wander off the plantation of pure liberal thought.
6. A simple, God bless them, electorate with the evident brainpower of a flashlight battery. They don't read, unless it's People Magazine or TV Guide, they don't think unless Oprah authorizes it, and they don't bother to analyze the written or spoken word. Instead, conditioned by the media, the Democrats, and MoveOn.org to believe that President Bush screwed up the country, they stand slack-jawed and glassy-eyed as Obama blathered code words with absolutely no meaning whatsoever. In their hearts, they heard "hope" and "change" as anything they wanted it to mean--and Obama knew that would happen. He is the master at saying nothing in 10,000 words, and the simple sheeple lapped it up.
7. A pathetic old man running as the Republican candidate who is as far from what Republicans used to be and ought to be as Al Gore is. John Kennedy was more of a Republican than John McCain is. Though conservatives feared Obama, preferring any alternative (even, yawn, McCain), they couldn't be excited enough by the pablum the Republican primaries served up to get out and vote. Only Sarah Palin added any pride to the collective Republican heart, and she spent most of her time fighting off the Katie Courics and other socialist media.
8. A very badly timed financial crisis which McCain handled about as poorly as it could be handled. Rather than espouse personal responsibility and consequences for poor decision-making, a formula that would have taken us out of this mess and taught us a lesson, he joined the chorus for bailing out the "woe is me" crowd with your money and mine. Thus he was just a pseudo-Democrat, and the sheeple ignored him in the voting booth.
The result of this perfect storm of swamp water was more than predictable. I'm surprised McCain received as many votes as he did.
Now come the barbarians.